1.26.2012

Perseverance & love of my job

Now, what? Even at this time of year? I'm really trying to lay low and focus on instruction with my room.

This is the part of year as we assess and use it to inform our instruction, that 3 things can happen: apathy, frustration, or challenge.

I love the challenge of knowing you are at point A and I need to get you to point Z.

Or you are at point F and I need to get you to point Z.

Or you are at point P and I need to get you to point Z.

I have 22 Smart Cookies. I consider myself teaching 22 different paths.

Some will head straight for point Z.

Some will zigzag to point Z.

Some will make you dizzy getting to point Z.

But, by golliday, it's my expectation that all will get to point Z and beyond.

And, it's time to either go big or go home.

Tackle the challenge. Or act like you don't see it. Or, run...fast...the other way.

This is where I remind myself that I chose the field of education over the field of medicine.

To me, education was doing the 'dirty work' day in and day out...minute after minute...influencing for a change. To me, medicine was see you in 2 weeks for a 15 minute appointment.

So, it's during this time that I remember hours and hours of rehab after surgeries and the result that came because of hard work and breaking muscle in order to strengthen muscle.

So, it's during this time that I remember hiking 5 million switchbacks up Old Rag and then there's the feel of relief and accomplishment at the summit.

So, it's during this time that I remember you are a human and you have the capacity to learn. It's my challenge to figure out how.

Moral of the Story: With perseverance, even the snail reached the ark.


No comments:

Post a Comment