2.02.2012

A Drive I Never Thought I'd Make

11:05. My door opened. In walked, my dad to be the sub for my class for the day.  The rain had cleared to a vibrant sunny day.

My principal wished me a safe journey.

I have driven the picturesque 29 up to Cville more times than I can count.

For so many reasons...
L's wrist...
  • the mall
  • UVA sporting events
  • drop off for first year
  • concerts
  • huge upset of FSU in 1995
  • UVA hospital for a visit
  • nanny'n some girls for 5 summers
  • exams
  • recitals
  • snow days
  • homecoming
  • performances
  • 10-milers
  • thesis presentation
  • swim meets
  • soccer games
  • trips to Charlotte, Danville, Knoxville, NashVegas and beyond
  • graduation
  • hanging out
  • H's graduation from 8th grade
  • eat lunch with L & G
  • volunteer
  • Bachelorette party
  • church
  • relaxation
  • maid of honor in a wedding
  • Bark For Life
  • vineyards
  • college reunions
  • talent shows
  • accidents that happen
  • spring semester
  • fall semester
  • birthdays
  • weddings
Never did I think...I'd add...
  • funeral 
Today, we celebrated the life of a friend who set the world on fire when her feet hit the floor. At 41, she attacked life with a prowess that left all of us in her wake in awe. From emails at 2 am to being a cheerleader for me to giving me more responsibility than 19 year-old should have to being the president of this while the chair of that while also being the athletic trainer for this team. Woowee.   She trusted and believed the most and best of everyone including myself.  She was all or nothing. Spot on.

With 3 kids in tow, she was sassy, brutally honest (would tell you look younger with makeup), real, fine-tuned, over-organized, beyond helpful, resourceful, loving, doting, strong, persistent, and unwavering.

10-Miler in 2009
Cancer may have stole her body. But, her spirit is running laps in heaven. During my second year of UVA, I started babysitting her kiddos. Then, I'd help out at birthday parties. I was lucky enough to teach her 3 kiddos and even do a case study on one of them. We spent hours in the summers together at the pool. She opened her arms and heart to me when she did not have to. She never demeaned me, but only encouraged me to take things on head first. 'Absolutely' and 'go for it' were some of my favorite phrases of hers.

After being diagnosed, she was determined to complete the Cville 10-miler in 2009. I was never so happy to find her at the finish line. Her 5 foot tall frame probably beat me. Just recently at Labor Day, we all carpooled to run the 4-miler in her honor with her 3rd grader in tow. That very morning she popped chemo right before getting in the car.  T & I clapped and cheered as they crossed the finish line.

This will be the memory I hold. T & I being her cheerleader just a tiny reciprocation as she had encouraged us for years. She didn't encourage us, she wanted life tackled. Relentlessly.

You may get tired from reading her obituary.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dailyprogress/obituary.aspx?n=christine-chadwick&pid=155714052

Yet, she was tireless. 2-4AM were her prime hours. She'll be extremely happy if there are 26 hours in a day in heaven.

I am a better person because of her. The world is a better place because of her. 

Moral of the Story: She went hard. And, now, she went home.


My friend Amy's blogpost..http://networkedblogs.com/ttMto

No comments:

Post a Comment