5.08.2014

Biting words

Do you ever read something and have to put it down because it's too deep? It needs to be read again? It touches an inner part of you? It hurts? Then, it comforts? You have to ruminate on it?

I just started a book that challenges me--my perceptions, my thoughts, and my practices.

I've already recommended it to one person just after reading the prologue. What's wrong with me?

This book reminds me of Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli.


I can't put this book down. Then, I have to, because it is so deep.

Here's an excerpt that struck me tonight...
Looking back now I can see that it was more than anything a failure to believe in the story of who God is and what he is doing in this world. Instead of living his story--one of sacrifice and purpose and character--I began to live a much smaller story, and that story was only about me. I wanted an answer, a timeline, and a map. I didn't want to have to trust God or anything I couldn't see. I didn't want to wait or follow. I wanted my old life back, and even while I read the mystics and the prophets, even while I prayed fervently, even while I sat in church and begged for God to direct my life, those things didn't have a chance to transform me, because under those actions and intentions was a rocky layer of faithlessness, fear, and selfishness (Niequest, 2010, p. 17-18).

The book is (drumroll)...
A book with chocolate on the cover must be good.
Moral of the Story: I look forward to late nights of reading and back-porch sittin' as summer arrives.


No comments:

Post a Comment