6.24.2014

On My Bookshelf

Here's what I just wrapped up reading. And, it was heavenly.

This time, I rebelled against my eBook love. I went vintage with paper and 'dog-eared' pages.

It was pure bliss.

Note: These books are not listed in the sequence that I read them. If the book description begins with *** then it was on Amazon's Bestsellers list.

I must confess that this book has been on my desk for months. The book was not what I expected; it's almost all theory, with spoonfuls of practicality here and there. I did grow from reading it.

I've read this before. It was a great refresher. I'm absolutely biased because the author was my advisor for my BA in Psych. However, it completely reminds me each time that there's a science of learning and a psychology of motivating the learner. Everything he says, I feel like I've experienced or seen.


***This book was a pleasure to read. While it was eye-opening, the grace of the human spirit prevailed. It reminded me of family television shows from the 90s. The interwoven nature of the past and present was tied up beautifully at the end.  It depicted a historical account of American history that goes unmentioned.



This book was intriguing. However, I'd have been completely satisfied by reading the first and last chapter. There were pictures throughout which added humor at times.

 I loved this book. I learned so much at the turn of each page. The title says the book explores farming, food, and love. At the end, I was left wondering what happened to the love? Then, I realized farming and food are a labor of love. Their journey of life was authentic and true.

A college friend recommended this book on her blog. It's strong annecdotes depicting where Jesus is found mostly. Niequist believed through food at the table was where communion truly occurred. The book was practical as she described balancing her career, miscarriages, and parenting while discovering this principle.

 This book took me a while to read. I dappled in it. But, my dappling reflected the nature of the book. The book took reflection.  Bittersweet is about the moments of life. There is sweetness coupled with bitterness raveled in most of them. How does this bitterness relate to your faith?

 ***I read Brene Brown's other popular book last summer. The tenet of the book is to let go of perfection and allow life to happen. I don't feel like I had any 'a-ha moments' or revolutionary thoughts. But, it was a quick, practical read. The book is a reminder of the important things in life.


***This book ended up being almost a family read on the beach. The book describes many principles to practice in communicating ranging from smiling to affirming others. We enjoyed discussing the principles. The book is basically interpersonal communication 101. Your Momma probably taught you these things.

Moral of the Story: Reading was a vacation for my mind over the past few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment