12.07.2014

An Oklahoma Weekend

The plane darted from my beloved Charlottesville airport (it's so easy there) late Friday afternoon. By midnight, Linda and I were touring the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial.

Why Oklahoma?

Linda's hometown football team made the state championship game. So, why not go?

Secretly, I will not say this aloud, I spent the weekend thinking I was Ree Drummond living The Pioneer Woman life.



I'd never been to Oklahoma. And ATL Kat and I have a motto that travel is the only thing you can spend money on that will make you richer.

So, yes, I went.

We got to do a few very touristy things. We went through Garth Brooks' hometown, ate at Toby Keith's restaurant/bar, ate Braum's (a Bojangle's equivalent?), drove the land, watched 8-man football, and walked along the downtown canal system.


The Tipton Tigers won the state championship 58-12. They had to stop the game early due to the slaughter rule. 8-men played on the field, 5 cheerleaders cheered, and hundreds of fans cheered for the Tigers. On Saturday, every players was someone's son.


What will I remember most about Oklahoma?

It absolutely reminded me of Culpeper twenty years ago. The pace of life is slower, the richness of relationships seemed more interconnected, and the priorities are real simple: God, family, food, and sports.

Moral of the Story: Traveling makes your life richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment