3.04.2015

A Winter Escape to Savannah

Although I'm a huge fan of snow, I'm also a huge fan of escaping snow. Especially, if it means I get to travel to the southern grace of Savannah. The weather was in the high 70s and low 80s. I broke a sweat.

The journey began on Sunday as we endured enjoyed the continuous delays for a 12:30 PM flight that eventually took off at 9:30 PM. Even better, we took off once and were forced to make an emergency landing. When I type emergency landing, imagine the scenes from the movies where fire trucks and ambulances surround the plane. But, no need for alarm.

We woke up Monday to the beauty of Savannah. Savannah is a charming city that moves to its own heartbeat. The underlying notion of "ya'll get where ya goin' when ya get there" is the rhythm of the heart.
I experienced many things that I have never done before. And, this just makes me feel alive. I enjoyed a honey bar, ate honeycomb and jicama, watched the homemade process of making taffy, and loved watching the port come alive with the gigantic cargo ships.
By day, we attended the conference and learned so much. By lunch, we ate outside next to the river enjoying grilled veggies and a fried green tomato salad. By night, we walked through the city, visited historical landmarks, and ate at the famous restaurants of Paula Deen and haunted pirates.
We enjoyed the history of the city. Savannah reveres its history. We visited the birthplace of the founder of Girl Scouts, the first African American church in North America, and many marks of the Civil War.
On Tuesday, my colleague and I presented an instructional strategy we created over the past 3 years in my classroom. It's called Table Talk.

Moral of the Story: Thankfully, we flew in before the snowstorm tonight. And, it's back to loving snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment