7.29.2014

"Getting Back to Who She Was"

Confession: I shamelessly spent quite a bit of time following the results of the Crossfit Games this past weekend. 



2014 "Fittest Woman on Earth" - Camille Leblanc Bazinet (CAN)

You see, I've been hooked ever since I bought a Groupon for a gym nearby within the first few months of moving to Atlanta out of sheer curiosity from all the hype I had been hearing about it and to meet people. What I've gained since that seemingly small purchase two years ago now seems immeasurable. 

So, what are the CrossFit Games?

"The CrossFit Games are the world’s premier test to find the Fittest on Earth™. They are world-renowned as a grueling test for the world’s toughest athletes and a thrilling experience for spectators. Since its inception in 2007, the CrossFit Games have become “one of the fastest growing sports in America,” according to Forbes." 

"There is no other true test of fitness.
The Games were created to fill a void — no other true test of fitness existed. From Ironman triathlons to the NFL, all other athletic events neglected to accurately test fitness. Even decathlons, while testing a relatively wide range of abilities, missed vital components of physical fitness.
CrossFit Games events are made up a broad range of functional movements. Functional movements move large loads, long distances, quickly. These movements also form the basis of our exercise program. Make no mistake—the CrossFit Games are designed to test, not train fitness. The goal is to find the fittest athletes, not to produce an easily replicable workout program.

Why the obsession?

For me the answer is relatively simple. CrossFit is the only workout I have found that comes close to the intensity I became accustomed to as a Division I swimmer. I guess you'd call me a glutton for punishment.  After "retiring" from collegiate swimming I vowed I would never lift weights again. I was burnt out. I didn't like the appearance I had from lifting weights and secretly longed to look like a "normal" 20-something year old female. So what did I do? Well, I trained for and ran a half marathon, went to spinning classes a few times a week and lifted free weights here and there in attempts to stay "toned." But I was miserable and not to mention bored! Something was missing. 


Enter CrossFit. 

Now, each time I walk into my "box" I never know what to expect but I know there will always be a workout of the day (WOD) ready and waiting for me to attack and a room full of people to push me. The range of ages and fitness levels of every person is something that continues to impress me. It is truly a sport that is scalable to anyone. I mean, a 37 year old mother of 2 goes rep for rep with me, often even beating me some days!


If someone had ever told me that in my mid-20s I would be stronger and faster than I was in the peak of my swimming training I would have told them they were crazy. But I have now come to love the muscles I have spent hours sculpting and the power they create. However, CrossFit didn't just fill a physical void for me, it has created even stronger emotional connections with the people I push myself against. The relationships that I have built with the men and women I train with have become more valuable than any physical benefits I have gained. 


The pain, sweat and hours we've spent together have formed bonds of friendship that will last a lifetime I hope. We've celebrated birthdays, engagements, marriages and births. We've seen each other at our best and at our worst usually at 5AM.

Partner workouts are a popular favorite - misery loves company right?


We've traveled together




And we've even shared our faith together. By far, the most valuable blessing I've received from CrossFit so far is the women's small group we started together. I couldn't imagine a better group of ladies to have by my side during this season of life!

But the best part is, the CrossFit community that I have discovered is not even unique to my "box" which was especially evident while watching the Games last weekend. You don't find too many sports where the crowd literally cheers louder for the last athlete to finish than the first. 

Moral of my CrossFit story: unexpected blessings can come from seemingly ordinary experiences




And as I was inspired by all of the stories of the athletes last weekend, I just have to pass on this amazing comeback story about a Games athlete who's life was literally saved by CrossFit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment