8.05.2014

Love Thy Neighbor

I spent last week in Oneida, NY on mission trip with a multi-generational group from my church.

Our mission was to love our neighbors as they continued to recover from a flood last summer. We spent the week at 9 different sites mucking, building porches, building roofs, building decks, drywalling, sanding, and mudding. Most importantly, we spent the time intentionally building relationships with our teammates, homeowners, and the Oneida community.

The following are a few memories that will always resonate with me...

Memory #1: The wet saw
I had never used a wet saw before to cut tile. Heck, I had never put tile down. I spent many hours laying tile and cutting tile on the wet saw. My favorite moment was when it was pouring rain. I continued to use the wet saw because the wet saw needs water to run. The irony was perfect.


Memory #2: First Baptist Church
While our missions team's denomination was Methodist, we were all there in Christ. The Baptist and Presbyterian churches of the community fed us and welcomed us at their churches for dinner. This stained glass was located in First Baptist Church.


Memory #3: Heather & the Sunset
Heather is another teacher in the county. We have been on trips together before. The skies were raining, while I huddled under an eave to catch a distant, sunny sunset. I turned around and Heather was huddling, as well, to capture the sunset.


Memory #4: 3 Little Boys
One of the houses had 3 little boys. The oldest was going into third grade. The three boys wanted to be in all the action and build. My teammates taught them how to use a drill and build a fort. However, sometimes we had to babysit. And, I quickly was designated to spending time with the boys. They were so dynamic and never stopped.


Memory #5: The crawl space
I worked in the crawl space. It should be noted it's not a strength of mine. But, I did it.


Memory #6: The flood
The essence of the flood was always surrounding us. Here's the watermark on a nearby, abandoned store.


Memory #7: This verse
This verse on the back of a teammate's t-shirt touched me throughout the week.

Memory #8: The work
Our team was always working. There were days my hands were raw.  We were split into work groups with site leaders. So, we hummed like bees. Here's a shot of a team working on the roof, while my team finishes up the drywall inside.


Memory #9: Learning
Our team leaders always encouraged us to learn new power tools or techniques. Patience was a virtue.


Memory #10: The chair
I never got a chance to sit in this chair. But, it reminded me of Kenny Chesney's Old Blue Chair song. I could only imagine the memories this chair has rocked people in.


Memory #11: You never knew
One thing I loved about the trip is that you never knew what you'd have to do to get a job done. The assistant pastor ordered me up to the top of this fridge to finish sanding. I was constantly stepping outside my comfort zone.


Memory #12: Building
We weren't only building houses, we were building hope for the future. Here's a father son duo working on the roof.


Moral of the Story: To who much is given, much is expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment